Monday, April 21, 2014

Welcome!

Welcome! RPG Mindcrack is a game that I shall be creating based on the Mindcrack Minecraft server. I am making it for fun, and to learn my way around things in game creating. I will be documenting my progress on this blog.

For this game, I will be using Unity and C# - two things I have never worked with before. First of all, there is not really much of a learning curve involved with C# from Java, they are both strongly-typed, object-oriented programming languages. They share a tonne of syntax (though despite this, the C# documentation will be very prevalent in my browser history). My Java experience itself is limited, and I was originally going to create this game in it to expand my knowledge on it; but, after bumping into Unity all over the internet, I thought I would give it a shot, as it seemed fairly quick and user friendly. To my dismay, it didn't have Java as a scripting language, so I was presented with a choice of Javascript or C#. Javascript is fairly simple, and not as strict as C# or Java, but I went for C#, as I would like to get something out of this experience as opposed to going over something I already know. Javascript is generally only good for web development outside of Unity, and that's not, at the moment, something I'm too bothered to get stuck into, unlike game development.

As aforementioned, I have no prior experience with Unity. So, for this project, I will be learning it from scratch. It seems great so far, very user friendly, and very.. Holistic? Monodevelop, Unity's IDE, links in seamlessly with Unity itself, and everything is convenient.

This is what I have so far:


The Cube moves! Great, I know.

So, as you can see, this game will take a while. The only thing I'm experienced in within this project would be art, which is currently going decently. Maybe you'll see some soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment